Advocacy means getting support from another person to help you express your views and wishes, and to help make sure your voice is heard. Someone who helps you in this way is called your advocate.

Do you need help ….

  • To apply for Direct Payments or make changes to your existing care package
  • To resolve a housing, benefits or care issues
  • To access and understand information to make informed choice
  • Contact relevant people or contact them on your behalf
  • Accompanying and supporting you in meetings or appointments
  • To translate or understand an important document
  • To reduce your isolation, and help you to gain more independence and confidence

We have two project workers available to support you with any of these issues, of which one is bi-lingual.

AB’s daughter contacted Tassibee as she was concerned about her mum who suffers from dementia, heart disease, poor mobility and who is also socially isolated. When Yasmeen visited AB, she felt Direct Payments would help her to get the support she needed. Yasmeen worked with a Social Worker from Rotherham Borough Council to support AB through the assessment process as she didn’t feel confident to complete it on her own. AB is now in receipt of direct payments and now goes out for short walks and attends sessions at Tassibee, with support from her support worker.
AB has said “before coming to Tassibee I didn’t go out and was in the house for weeks alone; now I feel happier in myself and the migraines I used to have, have eased off. Most days I don’t suffer from them anymore. I am really grateful for the sessions set up by Tassibee as they have given me the opportunity to meet new people, share ideas and I now feel part of a community”.
AB’s daughter commented that she had been very concerned about her mum’s health as it was deteriorating, and she was isolated from everyone. She feels happier now and less anxious thanks to the advocacy support and her mum attending Tassibee sessions. She finds her mum is much more talkative and is wanting to go out of the house.

The TACS service is open to anyone over 50+ you can Contact us to make an appointment and see how we can help you. However if you are under 50 and need support, please still contact us.